[Insight-users] seed region growing algorithm

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Wed May 25 15:09:05 EDT 2005

There are a bunch of seed region growing algos in ITK:

There's the ConnectedThreshold which generates labels based on pixels
being connected to the seed point/(s) and lying within a set of user
specified thresholds.

ConfidenceConnected takes it a step further and uses statistical
parameters of regions connected to teh seed to label regions

There's FuzzyConnected (which may not or may be a good choice depending
on whether your segmented regions are confined to a region or not)

You'll find the three methods integrated into a GUI in
InsightApplications/RegionGrowingSegmentation/RegionGrowingSegmentation
http://itk.org/HTML/RegionGrowingSegmentation.htm

and a bunch of examples in Examples/Segmentation and the Software Guide.