[Insight-users] Performing operations on masks

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Wed May 18 09:36:37 EDT 2005

Ivan,

I added this MaskNeighborhoodOperatorImageFilter last week. Let me
know if you have any issues.  I have used the filter in my own application
but have not had a chance to write a test for the filter.  There could
be some cross platform compiler issues that I have seen yet.

The NormalizedCorrelationImageFilter also will operate with a Mask.

There is also a LabelStatisticsImageFilter that takes an intensity
image and a label map (mask with several different labels).  This
filter will calculate the image statistics of the intensity image
pixels associated with each distinct label.

I want to add some other filters that operate under a mask.  Things like
DiscreteGaussian, Gradients, and maybe even the unary/binary/ternary/nary
image filters.

Not that if you are performing a separable operation under a mask, each
of the separable operations may need a slightly different mask (earlier
operations may need slightly dilated masks in order to produce all the
data that later operations may need).

Jim