[Insight-users] ITK ROAD MAP 2005-2006 : Call for feedback

Martin Kavec kavec at messi.uku.fi
Fri May 13 15:05:08 EDT 2005

Hi Luis.

My reply comes a bit later, because I were to ISMRM annual meeting and I came
with a pile of ideas what I would like to do with ITK and what, eventually,
other people could find useful. Last few years, MRI turns towards
quantitative analysis of a scanner output. Many MRI-derived parameters are
being put into the context of physiology and these parameters are being
extensively studied in inter- and intra-institutional trials. In this regard,
a lack of common platform for image analysis has been very often mentioned at
the conference. In my view, ITK could find a niche in this field. Brief look
at the ITK roadmap suggests that, indeed, this was considered, by including
perfusion analysis.

I'll try to find a time to implement quantification of MR
relaxation parameters, namely T1, T2 and ADC, just to have a practice in ITK
development.

1. However, more advanced analysis, which I am interested in, such
as Dynamic Contrast Susceptibily MRI (DCS-MRI), also known as the bolus
tracking, is out of my reach. It would be great, if ITK would have
implemented:

- singular value decomposition
- independent component analysis
- expectation-minimization,

These algorithms would thus allow for quantification of absolute/relative
perfusion of human organs (brain, kidney, heart, ....), based on the central
volume theorem.

2. Monte Carlo is often used in testing robustness of different algorithms in
MRI, so it would be nice to have a framework for it in ITK as well.

3. Also implementation of hidden Markov random field would be useful. Some
great segmentation algorithms giving superior results use it.

4. I am finding most of the ITK's Doxygen documentation too sparse. It is
sometimes quite difficult to find needed method. Names of the methods and
objects are generally descriptive, but not always help.

I find particularly useful plans for dicom query/retrieve implementation in
the sketch of the roadmap. This would make possible to automate image
analysis. It's really important.

I am starting to implement correction of geometric distortions in EPI based
MRI and if it works fine, I'll obviously pass it to public. Also I have one
student, and hopefully more to come, working on ITK implementation of some
nice algorithms (feature preserving filtering), which I hope should not be
problem to share.

So. That's what came across my mind. I hope it's not going to take you most of
you time to implement, if you consider it.
:)

Thanks.

Martin

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 17:53, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> A first draft of the road map for ITK development/maintenance has
> been crafted for the period of September 2005 - September 2006.
>

> You will find this draft as a link to the Oversight Committee page
>
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Oversight_Committee
>

> More specifically at
>

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Roadmap_2005_2006
>

> The purpose of this road map is to plan for features and functionalities
> to be included in ITK in the near/medium term (1 to 2 years).
>
> The addition of these features should make of ITK a better tool for
> supporting your efforts in medical research, and development of medical
> applications.
>
> The road map also includes the maintenance tasks to be undertaken in
> ITK. This may involve refactoring of classes, deprecation of classes,
> additional testing, additional coverage, improvements on tutorials and
> so on.
>

> Please let us know of the features that you would like to see in ITK
> in the upcoming future, and what points of the toolkit you consider
> that can be improved in order to better server the community.
>

>     Thanks
>

>        Luis

University of Liege
Sart-Tilman, Bldg. B28