[Insight-users] about register point set with surface

Yixun Liu yxliu at fudan.edu.cn
Mon May 16 02:45:19 EDT 2005

Hi,

Another question needs your help. The point set has thousands of points, but the mesh only has hundreds of points. The point set has too many points than the mesh has. Could they be registered correctly, especially be registed non-rigidly ,such as Bspline?

Best regards,

Yixun Liu

Hi Yixun,

Yes, it is similar to that example.

Note that the "Iterative Closest Point" algorithm is covered by
a patent from General Motors, that's enough reason for *NOT*
using that algorithm.

The use of a distance map, as suggested in the previous email
will give you faster performance than ICP, specially if your
surface has many points.

--------

For anybody interested in the dark side of Patents, and the
alienation of the academic public system, you may want to read:

      "University Inc
       The Corporate Corruption of American Higher Education"
       by Jennifer Washburn

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0465090516/qid=1116161355/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-1813554-1671344?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

      "Shakespeare, Einstein, and the Bottom Line,
       The Marketing of Higher Education"
       by David L. Kirp

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0674011465/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs/102-1813554-1671344?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

--------