[Insight-users] STL containers of itkImages?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu May 5 14:30:56 EDT 2005

I typically make a STL container class of SmartPointers to the images,
e.g.:

typedef ImageType::Pointer ImagePointer
typedef std::Vector<ImagePointer> ImageVector

itk::Object subclasses have private constructors and destructors; the
public API for manipulating them is the class's New method and the
reference-counting smart pointers. This of course means that you cannot
create itk::Objects on the stack, or stuff them directly into a
container class; you instead need to use the SmartPointers for all
tasks.

A little meditation on this should show it to be a generally good idea.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine