[Insight-users] Problem smoothing image 3D MRI-T1 withDiscreteGaussienImageFilter

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu May 5 11:29:46 EDT 2005

Xavier,

The only parameters you need to set usually are the SetVariance() and
UseImageSpacingOn()/Off().

If your data an anisotropic spacing, then you should set UseImageSpacingOn().
When UseImageSpacing is on, the Variance is specified in physical units
(for instance mm).  When it is off, the Variance is specified in pixels.

In the released versions of ITK, the DiscreteGaussianImageFilter
needs to be provided an image with floating point pixels.  Last week,
I checked in a version to the CVS repository that will allow the
input and output pixel types to be integral.

This is likely your error.  You probably gave the DiscreteGaussian
an image of ints or shorts, etc.  If you are using an official release,
you need to give the filter an image of floats or doubles.

The method SetMaximumError() allows you to control the accuracy of the
filtering. The method SetMaximumKernelWidth() allows to control the
speed of the filtering (smaller kernels are faster).  But you only
need to adjust these parameters when you start to address speed and
accuracy of the filtering.  The defaults are all reasonable values.

Jim