[Insight-users] Query on Fast Marching Segmentation Algirithm

Uday Kurkure udaykurkure at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 10:38:33 EST 2005

Hi Sotiris,

I use FMM to generate initial signed distance
function. In my understanding, "seed position" are the
points from which the front originates and grows till
it covers whole image space. So each point in the
image space has a value equal to its distance from the
seed point. If multiple seeds are used, distance from
the closest seed point is computed. The "seed value"
determines the distance (position) of zero level set
from the seed points. We subtract this seed value from
the distance values of all the points giving us an
initial signed distance function. If we use a single
seed point, we get a circular front with zero level
set at radius = seed value.

-Uday

--- Sotiris Dimopoulos <vtksot_dimopoulos at yahoo.gr>