[Insight-users] Cycles in SpatialObject possible

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Thu Mar 17 09:17:52 EST 2005

Hi,

Julien will be able to give more info, but basically, a scene cannot be
stored as a DAG.  SpatialObjects allow only one parent per object since
each child object has a transform that positions it in its parent
object's space...  If we allowed multiple parents, it would be
problematic to define an object-to-world transform that is composed of
all of the child-to-parent transforms from an object to the root.   We
could support duplication as is done in some scene representations -
creating "virtual" copies of an object, but I don't think the complexity
they add is justified given the rare utility of them.

SpatialObjects specifically use the itkTree datastructure - contributed
by MITK developers.

Stephen