[Insight-users] DICOM orientation ?

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Mar 7 09:42:48 EST 2005

roxy r wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I would appreciate if you could help me solve the following problem :
> I am reading a set of DICOM files (folowing the example
> ..itk\Examples\IO\DicomSeriesReadImageWrite.cxx) and is working ok. But
> I would like to know the orientation of the files(axial, coronal ,
> sagittal) .
>
> Does anybody know how to do this?
>
> Thank you in advance !

Roxana,

	If you are using gdcm (Utilities/gdcm), you have access to a higher
level function, namely:

	gdcm::Header::GetImageOrientationPatient( float iop[6] )
	(cf gdcmHeader.h in ITK 2.0)

Therefore you don't even have to know the internal of the DICOM file
format to know where to find the image orientation patient.

HTH
Mathieu