[Insight-users] GUI & ITK : Licenses

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Mar 2 19:43:51 EST 2005

Hi Arash,

The reason why we recommend FLTK over wxWindows (now wxWidgets)
is the license:

          http://www.wxwidgets.org/newlicen.htm

wxWidgets' license is basically a LGPL, and therefore has
unnecessary restrictions on the use of the software.

The ITK community has committed to a BSD-like license that is
much more open than LGPL.

FLTK has a reduced LGPL license which in practice comes down
to be equivalent to BSD.

             http://www.fltk.org/COPYING.php

They took GPL and removed the stickiness out of it by declaring that:

1) deriving from FLTK classes do not contitues derivative work
2) static linking to FLTK libraries do not constitute derivative work

---

Note that this is only a reason for us to "recommend" FLTK or
suggest its use. However, ITK is *FULLY* independent of any GUI.
You can use ITK with wxWidgets, MFC, FLTK, Qt, Tcl, Java, or any
other system that provides GUI functionalities. It is up to you
to choose what GUI library you use for your application.

----

LGPL made sense in the early days of the Open Source movement,
when people didn't believe that it was a good idea and therefore
needed to be *forced* to release their source code.  We are well
beyond that stage, now that companies such as IBM recognize the
value of open source and support the community. We are also in a
new age where US federal funding agencies encourage and sometimes
*require* researchers to make their code publicly available. At
this point, the restrictions of LGPL are unnecessary and in fact
result in a barrier for the adoption of open source software in
commercial applications.