[Insight-users] using Mutual Information

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jan 9 20:32:33 EST 2005

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the additional details regarding your images.

What you probably want to do is to create a new Metric
that will take into account both the intensity values
and the Z values from your image.

This is like interpreting your image as a 2 components
dataset, where the first component is the intensity
and the second component is the Z depth.

NOTE that before you go further, you must check whether
the scanner was moved between the first reading and
the second. Because in that case, the Z values of one
image will not match the Z values from the other one
given that they are measured with respect to different
origins of coordinates.

You may want to take a look at the code implementing
Metrics such as MeanSquares in

          Insight/Code/Algorithms

That will give you a base for writing your own Metric.
You will also need a specialized interpolator, capable
of computing both intensity and Z values.

Once you have your new Metric and Interpolator you can
take advantage of the rest of ITK components such as
optimizers and transforms in order to complete a
registration method.