[Insight-users] ITK Multithreading

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Fri Feb 25 15:26:32 EST 2005

ITK does not have any multithreading readers.  However, you could start a separate thread that would read the data and allow your application to do other things while data is being loaded.  If you wanted to do this, you need to use
the itk::MultiThreader::SpawnThread() method.

The GeodesicActiveContours is already multithreaded.  When you run that algorithm, ITK will internally divide the problem across multiple processors.
This is done automatically.

A large number of ITK filters are multithreaded.  They will spread the
computation across as many processors as you have.  Not all filters are
threaded, however.  Some of the segmentation algorithms require too much
global information so they cannot be threaded.

One way to determine if a filter is multithreaded is to look to see
whether it provides a GenerateData() or ThreadedGenerateData() method.
GenerateData() methods are single threaded.  But the GenerateData() may use
a mini-pipeline where the components of the pipeline are multithreaded filters.
So it can be hard to determine whether a given filter is multithreaded or not.
But you can usually tell from a system monitor ("top") how many threads
a filter is using when a calculation is being performed.

Jim