[Insight-users] Re: ITK Filters to generte Speed Image (Other than Sigmoid)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Apr 27 18:41:41 EDT 2005

Hi Conn,

You may want to try:

EdgePotential
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1EdgePotentialImageFilter.html

and he ExpNegativeImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ExpNegativeImageFilter.html

The first compute the gradient of the image and then pass it through an
exponential. The second only do the exponential. The advangate of the
second is that you can select your own gradient-magnitude-like filter.
The disadvantage is that you use two filters.

Note... however that the reason why we moved into using the Sigmoid for
constructing speed images was that the traditional methods (edge
potential) do not offer enough flexibility for controlling the creation
of the speed image.

I would suggest you to reconsider the way you are using the Sigmoid
filter...  you probably just need to find better values for Alpha
and Beta.

Note also that if the gradient magnitude image have gaps in the contours
there is not much that you can improve over that when computing the
speed image. Probably the only thing that can help you there is to
increase the CurvatureScaling of the level set...

Presence of gaps in the gradient magnitude simply means that the
intensities of the object that you are trying to segment are too
close to some neighbor anatomical structure.

If you want to be pragmatic you could also consider the use of
"stoppers" as they are implemented in the SNAP application in
InsightApplications.