[Insight-users] writing a 3D volume to a file

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 23 17:46:41 EDT 2005

Hi Smriti,

The file format that you need for visualization
depends of course on the visualization software
that you plan to use.

Options for visualization software are for example

   - Slicer
   - VolView
   - ParaView
   - SNAP

Slicer, ParaView and SNAP will read MetaImage,

Slicer and SNAP will read Analyze format and VTK.

A full list of the file formats supported in ITK
is available in the FAQ

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ#What_3D_file_formats_can_ITK_import_and_export.3F

What visualization software do you plan to use ?

What fileformats can this software read ?

-------------------------
SMRITI RAGHUNATHAN wrote:

> Hi, thanks for all the help on reading in DICOM images into ITK. I
> have
gone through the literature that is in the software guide. However, I am
still not clear on what format should the file be if I want to store a
3D volume and then display it. I am able to read the 2D DICOM slices and
then the program also converts it into a 3D volume but I don't know what
file format to assign this volume to so that I can open this volume
image using a 3D visualization software. I tried using jpg and png
formats but that didn't work.