[Insight-users] Clarification on itkOrientImageFilter orientationcodes

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:18:12 EDT 2005

I'm experiencing some problems in with image orientation translations
for axial images;

When translating a coronal image to sagittal, everything works as expected:
start w/: RSA
ask for:  ASL
get:       ASL

However, when translating an axial image to sagittal, I'm ending up
with a coronal image instead:
start w/: RAI (or LAS)
ask for:  ASL
get:       IRA (or SLA)

This result is confusing.  Essentially, the RSA=>ASL translation
requires a 90 degree turn clockwise along the y-axis, which itk does
correctly.  Meanwhile, the RAI=>ASL translation requires a 90 degree
turn clockwise around both the x-axis and y-axis.  But it seems for
RAI=>ASL, itk is instead rotating 90 degrees clockwise along the x-
and *z-axis* which results in a coronal image of IRA rather than a
sagittal of ASL...   any idea why this is happening?

In attempting to work around the problem, I pretended that my axial
image (RAI) was instead a coronal image (RSA).  I instructed itk to
translate the image to ARS (an unorthodox axial image) which
essentially is asking itk to rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise
around the x-axis and y-axis; the same as an RAI=>ASL translation
would ask.  This translation did indeed result in the expected output
of an ASL image.

Can anyone shed light onto the problems w/ translating axial to
sagittal?  thanks,

Mark