[Insight-users] How to register MRI/fMRI?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Apr 17 15:56:06 EDT 2005

Hi Yu,

If the two volumes are from the same subject you *DO NOT* need
to do any rescaling.

ITK performs registration in physical space, not in pixel space,
therefore all the transformations are relative to millimeters,
not pixels.

You *MUST* verify that your images have correct values for pixel
spacing and origin. Once you verify that, you can proceed to
register them.

Note that even if the images are from different subjects, human
variability is such that the size of heads from adult specimens
are not too different. If you ever need to register brains from
different subjects, the scaling factors should be *VERY* close
to 1.0.

When talking about "volume size", make sure that you are not
confusing "Number of Pixels", with "Image Resolution" or with
"Image Extent".

You *MUST* read the resampling chapter from the ITK Software Guide:

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf