[Insight-users] OnePlusOneOptimizer ... generator

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 13 14:40:50 EDT 2005

The OnePlusOneEvolutionaryOptimizer samples the search space randomly,
within a search radius that is initially defined by the "initial search
radius" parameter.

These random samples are generated by drawing normally-distributed
values pseudo-random number generator. Because computers are
deterministic, for any given seed (the value passed to "Initialize"),
the sequence of random numbers from the generator is always the same;
however within that sequence they are approximately random.

So, changing the value passed to "Initialize" changes the random number
stream used to generate samples for the Optimizer. That is, given a
different seed, the Optimizer will pursue a different trajectory
through the search space. However, the results should basically be the
same for any given seed. Moreover, there is no way to predict how a
specific seed will influence the results.

Zach