[Insight-users] Differences in Mutual Information Metrices

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Apr 10 12:27:16 EDT 2005

Hi Jan,

The documentation on the differences between the six types
of Mutual Information metrics currently available in ITK
is a bit scattered at this point.

This is something we should improve in the second edition
of the Software Guide.

Could you please add this as a feature request on the
Software Guide

              http://www.itk.org/Bug/

--

The implementations of Mutual Information for

          Viola-Wells
and

          Mattes

use random samples because they just need to estimate
the Joint Probability of the images.

The OnePlusOneOptimizer uses random numbers because as
any other evolutionary algorithm it throws random variations
of a genetic population in order to explore the parameteric
space.

You may want to read the original papers by Viola-Wells, and
Mattes, as well as an introductory text to Genetic Algorithms
or Evolutionary Algorithms.