[Insight-users] Differences in Mutual Information Metrices

Jan Schreiber Jan.Schreiber at umit.at
Thu Apr 7 09:33:02 EDT 2005

Hi,

does anyone know, where I can find information about the differences of
the several Mutual Information Metrices implemented in ITK?

itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric
and
itk::MutualInformationImageToImageMetric

are well described in the SoftwareGuide and in the Doxygen
documentation but I could not find much information on

itk::MutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric
and
itk::NormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric

Do you know the pros and contras of these metrices and which optimizers
I can/ should use with the Histogram-versions? Do I have to pre-process
the images first?

The first two seem to use random samples for the calculation which
makes me a bit suspicious... The OnePlusOneEvolutionaryOptimizer used in
ImageRegistration14.cxx is initialized with a random variate generator.
Why do all these methods use a random variable?

Thanks in advance,
Jan