[Insight-users] Exceptions while executing example "DigitallyReconstructedRadiograph1" on a dual CPU machine

Stefan Wesarg stefan.wesarg at igd.fraunhofer.de
Thu Apr 7 08:44:40 EDT 2005

Hello,

I compiled and linked the "DigitallyReconstructedRadiograph1" example
into an executable file that is perfectly running on a single processor
machine. However, if I run it on a dual processor machine it crashs -
sometimes (yes, only sometimes) throwing an exception. Switching to
debugging after that exception reveals problems during the execution of
the code in the class <itk::RayCastInterpolateImageFunction>. The code
crashes in an unpredictable way in several methods:
- InitialiseVoxelPointers() - "The ray traversal direction is unset "
- GetCurrentIntensity() - "The ray traversal direction is unset "
- CalcPlanesAndCorners() - "Division by zero (planes) "
- AdjustRayLength() - "The ray traversal direction is unset "

Again, this problem occurs only if the program is started on a dual
processor machine. (The executable has been built on that same machine.)
That's why I guess that it might be related to the threaded execution of
the <itk::ResampleImageFilter>.
I executed the code in both ways, without providing input image data and
by specifying a 3D input data set (MHD format), and also changing values
for the DRR generation parameters from the default ones did not make any
change.

Can anybody confirm/replicate that behavior? Any ideas how to overcome
this problem?

My configuration is:
- ITK 2.0.1 (built with "BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF")
- Win2k
- Visual C++ 6
- Dual Athlon MP 1800+

Thanks and regards,
Stefan

Dipl.-Phys. Stefan Wesarg

Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics
Cognitive Computing and Medical Imaging (A7)
Fraunhoferstr. 5, 64283 Darmstadt, Germany
email:	stefan.wesarg at igd.fraunhofer.de
http://a7www.igd.fhg.de/persons/swesarg/swesarg.html

phone:	+49 6151 - 155 511
fax:	+49 6151 - 155 480