[Insight-users] Question about RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer

Feng Qiao fqiao at rice.edu
Wed Apr 6 18:28:44 EDT 2005

Thanks Luis and KK for your helpful comments. The metric I used was the
NormalizedCorrelationImageToImageMetric. And the PET images I tried to
register were really noisy, so I assume that the metric might also be
pretty noisy. I tried to use the multi-resolution approach to get better
results. In my test I used 3 levels, for the first level I used a max
step length of 20 (now according to Luis, that value might be too large)
and a min step length of 0.1, and each subsequent level continues with
the current step length and reduce the min step length by a factor of
10. Here I assume the unit of these numbers is millimeter, is that right?
Also for noisy image metric, is there any more appropriate optimizer to
use other than the RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer? The
GradientDescentOptimizer seems to be too simple without a converging
condition...
Thanks.

Feng