[Insight-users] Managing multiple regions in ITK

Todd Gable Todd_Gable at invision.iip.com
Wed Apr 6 14:22:34 EDT 2005

I was wondering what the best way is to handle objects/3d-regions in a volume post segmentation. If we have N objects post connected components, what is the best way to handle them individually and yet maintain their relative position to the original 3D image? From what I have read searching around, it looks like using ExtractImageFilter (or RegionOfInterestImageFilter?) and keeping a list or container of these sub-regions might work best. We could have N regions, each with a small volume for fast filtering. We could then apply local filters like erode and use the output as the input to a mask filter on the original image to get grayscale values per object to compute statistics. Does this sound right, or is there some other ITK mechanism that would handle these activities better?

Todd Gable