[Insight-users] Fwd: Registering vector images

Rupert Brooks rupe.brooks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:57:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

Two quick questions

I am doing some experiments with image registration, and would like to
register some images with a vector of values at each pixel.  I have
some problems - and would like to get the advice of the list of how to
proceed.

The first question is pretty simple - is there a way to have a program
load different image types at run time.  All the examples in the book
specify the pixel type at compile time.  I'd like to have the program
look at the file, and determine its pixel type, then proceed
accordingly.  So the program would react differently when faced with a
grayscale vs an RGB image.  Ideally  i would like to be able to switch
dimensionality at run-time too, but i would settle for image pixel
type.

The second question is more philosophical.  It appears that there is a
parallel set of classes appearing in ITK to handle vector images
(itkVectorLinearInterpolator, etc).  There do not appear to be image
metrics there as yet.  What is ITKs approach to the registration of
vector-valued images.  Is anyone working on this?  I know that some
people have used ITK for Landsat registration, for example.

Thanks
Rupert B.

Rupert Brooks
McGill Centre for Intelligent Machines (www.cim.mcgill.ca)