[Insight-users] itk::SparseImage

Joshua Cates cates at sci.utah.edu
Tue Apr 5 13:43:17 EDT 2005

Hi Robert,

The SparseImage is a full itk::Image of pointers which may be assigned to
dynamically allocated pixels as necessary, and set to 0 where the image
has/needs no values.  Note that (1) this is only useful when the pixel
type is large (e.g. long and/or dynamic length feature vectors) and (2)
ITK iterator and other image manipulators do not transparently handle this
image representation, so your code will need to explicitly manage this
format. The sparse image class was first developed for use in a narrow
band PDE solver where a relatively large vector of values is maintained
only on pixels located in the band.

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
 University of Utah
 http://www.sci.utah.edu/~cates