[Insight-users] DemonsRegistrationFilter memory leak?

Vincent.Luboz at imag.fr Vincent.Luboz at imag.fr
Tue Sep 28 15:24:25 EDT 2004

Hi itk users

I'm using the itkHistogramMatchingImageFilter combined with the
itkDemonsRegistrationFilter to match 2 sets of 3D CT scans. The first one is
an object and the second one is the same object but slightly deformed (it is
an elastic deformation induced by a load on the object).
I used the example given in the itkDemonsRegistrationFilterTest file to used
this matching algorithm and my program is a copy of it (except the variable
values).
The transformation resulting from the matching seems fine but it takes a
really long time to compute. For example it took 24 hours for matching my 2
data sets (both of them have a size of 20Mo and 512x512x36 in pixel size) with
10000 points for the histogram, only 20 iterations for the demon algorithm and
a sigma of 5 (to smooth the result since I only asked for 20 iterations).
Is it normal that it takes that long?
I was thinking that it may be due to a memory leak of the demon algorithm
since when I run my program, it starts by reading the 2 data sets, so the
memory increases by 40 Mo but them it keeps increasing until reaching a memory
usage of 1.4Go!!
Is it normal? What can I do to avoid that or to get the result faster?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Vincent.