[Insight-users] registration for tiled volume

Rocky Rhodes rhodes at sgi.com
Tue Sep 28 14:58:59 EDT 2004

> One way to actually stitch the images together is to create an image
> large enough for containing the group of images that you want see
> together in a single file, and then use the itkResampleImageFilter,
> in order to actually move the intensities to that destination image.

To be clear, is this something like what I need to do:

	1. Have readers for both images
	2. Use itkResampleImageFilter to transform moving image
appropriately.
	3. Create a new image and allocate with size appropriate for the
combined image.
	4. Iterate over pixels in first image and combined image, Set'ing
pixels in combined image to values returned by Get for first image.  Use
region from first image for these iterators.
	5. Repeat for second image, now using different region reflecting
the footprint of the second image.
	6. Write out combined image.

Or is there a way to copy a region of pixels from one image to another?

> The blending policy is arguable. It is common to do it as a linear
> blending where the weights are related to how close the pixel is
> from the non-overlapping border of each image. You may have to
> experiment a bit on this front, since it depends a lot on how similar
> the two overlapping image are (e.g. hopping that there are no
> optical distortions or illumination artifacts. Modern microscopes are
> quite good regarding aberration elimination, so you probably will not
> have any issues of that sort.

To do blending, do I need to explicitly perform the linear blending in the
loops above?  Again, is there a way to blend two images or regions from two
images together without the iterator loops?

Thanks for the help.

	Rocky