[Insight-users] Registering US -> CT

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 19 19:51:55 EDT 2004

Hi Neilson,

No,
if you read a 2D image and you apply a 3D blurring, what you
will get is an Exception thrown. A 2D image is considered
to be a degenerate 3D image and therefore it is not suitable
for being the input of a 3D filter.

What you can do, however, is to read the 2D image, declare
a 3D image with thickness 5 pixels (or 2N+1...)  copy the
slice that you read into the middle slice of the 2N+1
image.  Then, apply a blurring filter.

You can set the pixel spacing Dz in this new 3D image in such
a way that Dz * (2N+1) = the physical thicknes of the sensitive
plane of your Ultra Sound acquisition probe.

In that way this new 3D image will be a better representation
of the physical reality that your Ultra Sound 2D image captured.