[Insight-users] Fast binary morphology dilation

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Mon Sep 13 13:37:48 EDT 2004

Jerome,

Thanks for the contribution.

The binary dilate code in ITK was designed to:

1) Work with any structuring element
2) Work in a multithreaded environment

There are a filter called DilateObjectMorphologyImageFilter that is operates
on the border on the object.  This is faster.  However, I do not the
ObjectMorphology approach is thread safe.  I think it also requires that the

"center pixel" of the structuring element is on.

For your point on the exotic structuring elements, from the shifted sums, I
agree that ITK is not doing the right thing.

What I would like to do is replace the BinaryDilateImageFilter and the
BinaryErodeImageFilter with versions of this fast approach.  We'll need
to the address the threading issue.  I am also not sure about the boundary
condition.  I think the requested region needs to be padded in case someone
requests the dilation of a subregion of an image.  This is important in
supporting streaming.  For instance, if a request comes in for the kxk
section
in the middle of an NxN image, you would need have used the (k+2r)x(k+2r)
input
region in order to produce an output that would be consistent with the
output
of a request for a mxm section in the middle of the NxN image (m > k).

I'll take a look at the code and see if this is easily changed.

Thanks.
Jim