[Insight-users] Gradient Vecotr Flow Snake in itk

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 13:13:28 EDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:00:59 -0400, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:
> Please look at the examples:
>
>    Insight/Examples/Segmentation/
>                        DeformableModel1.cxx
>                        DeformableModel2.cxx
>
> The classes in ITK that implement deformable models
> on the "Snake" family are:

Luis, I think he's referring specifically to deformable models driven
by Gradient Vector Flow[1].  There is a class in ITK to calculate the
Gradient Vector Flow, but no deformable model (parametric or
geometric) in ITK uses this yet.  For my own experiments I've built a
version of the gradient anisotropic filtering level set filter that
uses this, but the results were no different from the standard GAC, so
I presume that something is still missing in my implementation.  Due
to my current acute lack of time, I will only be able to look at this
later.

[1] C. Xu and J. L. Prince, ``Snakes, Shapes, and Gradient Vector
Flow,'' IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 7(3), pp. 359-369,
March 1998