[Insight-users] Error-executable for debugging

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Sep 11 11:53:18 EDT 2004

Hi Aaron,

You are probably triggering the build by cliking on F5 or CTRL-F5.

When you do this in Visual Studio, it attempts to build your project
and then to execute your program in Debug mode.  This is fine when
you have a small simple project with a single executable.

In the case of ITK (and VTK), the ALL_BUILD target is actually grouping
all the libraries, examples and test programs. Therefore there is no
specific executable that Visual Studio could run once the build is
finished.

The solution is quite simple:

             Don't use F5 nor Ctrl-F5 for ALL_BUILD     :-)

Instead, go to the Build menu and select "Build",
or use the key shortcut:  "Ctrl+Shift+B".

You may want to get more familiar with the commands of the
Visual Studio IDE before you engage in developing code with ITK.

You will save a lot of time if you read first the Tutorials

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

In particular the "GettingStarted" tutorial

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStartedI-WebPage/index.htm

that shows you the exact location of the "Build" option in the Visual
Studio IDE.

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStartedI-WebPage/img21.html

    Best Regards,

      Luis