[Insight-users] Figure out the index of a pixel

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Sep 2 18:50:05 EDT 2004

Hi Jian,

Yes, in general you can interpret and
index [x1,x2] as

            x1  =  x
            x2  =  y

and in 3D [x1,x2,x3] will imply

            x3  =  Z

Note that the index will be just a counter
of grid positions. It will not give you
coordinates in space (at least not in physical
units, like millimeters).

If you are looking for coordinates in space you
must use the method

   image->IndexToPhysicalPoint(index, point);

Please read the DataRepresentation chapter
on the Software Guide. In particular the
section about the itk::Image.

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf