[Insight-users] Is there an Inverse FFT in ITK ? (IFFT)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Nov 18 15:48:19 EST 2004

Hi Robert,

In order to get the Inverse Fourier Transform you should
apply the direct transform first and then flip the output.

So, your pipeline will look like:

  1) A = (image/volume from disk)
  2) B = VnlFFTRealToComplexConjugateImageFilter(A)
  3) [do some operation on B in Fourier space]
  5) C = VnlFFTComplexConjugateToRealImageFilter(B)
  4) E = FlipImageFilter(D) [with all dimensions
                             set to true]

Note, that in order to make sure that your "Inverse
Transform will map fine into a Real Image your operations
in point (3) *must* be symmetric.  E.g. any Function F(x)
that you use for filtering at that level must be such that
it respects

                  F(x) == F(-x)

Otherwise, the result of the Inverse Transform should be
another complex image.