[Insight-users] Error on watershed example (from ITK1.8\Examples\WatershedSegmentation1.cxx

neha k itkneha1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 19:53:37 EST 2004

Hello,

Can I use watershed example (from ITK1.8\Examples\WatershedSegmentation1.cxx) with Brain MRIs (Raw format)?  When I try to use Watershed example on Brain MRI with tumour, with following parameters range-

Conductance Term -> 1-4, No. of Iterations - 3 - 10, Threshold (%) - 0.0 - 0.3, Level Of Watershed 0.01 - 0.05,
Principle Componenet Analysys - On. I am not sure if I need to use Principle Componenet Analysys.

I get following error: ------>

itk::ExceptionObject (0104F288)
Location: "Unknown"
File: C:\ITK_1.8\InsightToolkit-1.8.0\Code\Algorithms\itkWatershedSegmentTreeGen
erator.txx
Line: 436
n unexpected and fatal error has occurred. This is probably the result of overth
resholding of the input image.

Do you have any suggestions?  I have attached the image.  I give .mhd file as an input to that example program.

Thanks.

Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:
Hi Neha,

We don't have examples of these two filters are this point.
This issue has been entered as a feature request in the
bug tracker. Bug # 1309:

http://www.itk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1309&pos=0

----

Regarding your question about pre-post contrast:

Yes, it is worth to give it a try at subtracting these two
images. You will recognize if registration is needed if
you see a lot of borders in the structures after the
subtraction.

It is quite likely that you will need deformable registration
since the image acquisition process for Breast under MRI does
not restrict patient movement.

The deformable registration methods in ITK have been previously
applied to registration of MRI Breast images. In particular the
combination of BSplineDeformableTransform and MutualInformation.

Look for example at the Tutorials

http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

In particular the session on Registration by Dr. Lydia Ng.
http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/RegistrationMethodsOverview.pdf

You will find examples on deformable registration of pre/post
constrast MRI Breast images in page 64.

http://mail.yahoo.com