[Insight-users] Force field & mesh3D?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Nov 8 08:57:33 EST 2004

Hi Marie,

You are right,

You can use the itkDeformableMesh3DFilter for the purpose of
deforming your Mesh under the influence of a deformation field.

Note that you also have the option of using the

itk::DeformableSimplexMesh3DBalloonForceFilter

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DeformableSimplexMesh3DBalloonForceFilter.html

contributed by Thomas Boettger, and further refined
by Leila Baghdadi.

In fact, you may find useful to use directly the GUI
application in

    InsightApplications/
            DeformableModelSimplexMesh

Where this filter is combined with the visualization and
GUI elements that make easier to use it.

On a second thought...
Note that it is different to deform the Mesh using a *final*
deformation field resulting from the image registration than
to use a *force field* like the one resulting form a gradient
computation.

If you actually have a *final* deformation field, your problem
then seems to be similar to an atlas based segmentation where
you have an initial segmentation (your mesh) of an image, then
you register the image against another image, and finally you
use the deformation field (from the image registration) in order
to map the initial mesh.

If this is what you are doing, then you don't need the Deformable
filter at all, you can just use the deformation field as a transform
for Warping the mesh.  For that purpose you can use the filter:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1TransformMeshFilter.html

Please let us know which one of the two scenarios above are you
dealing with.