[Insight-users] Re: Tumor Measurements..

Lino Ramirez ramirez at ece.ualberta.ca
Sun Nov 7 08:53:21 EST 2004

Hi Luis,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive explanation.

I am designing the experiments to validate a segmentation approach I am
developing. The final goal of this segmentation is to provide clinicians
with a set of measurements they use in their daily practice.

Now, I have some questions about comparing the results obtained by the
expert(s) and the computer method:

1.- Should I pool together the results obtained by the same expert at
different time intervals with the results obtained by different experts
(to get let’s say at least 30 results) and then compare those results with
the computer generated results using for example paired t-tests (or other
type of statistical test)?

2.- Should I keep the inter-observer measurements separated from the
intra-observer measurements and do the individual comparisons of these
results with the computer-generated results?

3.- Should I repeat the comparisons for each parameter I can set up in the
computer segmentation method?

4.- Do you know of any paper in which the authors present a comprehensive
comparison of expert-made measurements with computer-generated
measurements? I want to produce a tool that could be used in clinical
practice and I think that the best way of convincing clinicians of the
validity of the tool is providing a sound statistical analysis.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Have a nice day

Lino