[Insight-users] Re: AntiAliasBinaryImageFilter : Segmentation methods : yes, there are many in ITK :-)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 5 22:30:32 EST 2004

Hi Alam,

Yes, there are *MANY* segmentation methods in ITK
in addition to SimpleFuzzyConnectedness.

Please read the Segmentation Chapter of the
ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

and the Tutorial on segmentation methods

     http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

Among others segmentation methods in ITK
you will find the following:

   - Level Set Methods

        FastMarching
        FastMarchingExtension
        ShapeDetection
        GeodesicActiveContours
        ThresholdSegmentation
        CannyEdgesSegmentationLevelSet

   - Region Growing

        Confidence connected
        Connected Threshold
        Isolated Connected

   - Markov Random Fields

   - Watersheds

   - Statistical Classifiers

        Gaussian Mixture Modeling
        Generic framework for classification

   - Cellular Algorithms

   - Segmentation by Model-to-Image registration

   - Atlas Segmentation by deformable registration

   - Deformable Models

         With Triangular Meshes
         With Simplex Meshes

All of those methods are N-Dimensional, with the exception
of the Deformable Models using Meshes and Simplex Meshes.

If you need a VTK image as output you can use the filter

              itkImageToVTKImageFilter

That you will find in

       InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk

You must also read the Tutorial on the combined use of ITK and VTK.
This is the Session  "Getting Started II" in

              http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm