[Insight-users] Tumor Measurements..

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Mon Nov 1 16:39:23 EST 2004

Volume criteria (change in cubic mm) would be most
accurate measure of tumor volume.  This is easy to
do from any label map (segmentation) using the
RelabelComponentImageFilter. If the segmentation results
in a mesh, there are established techniques for calculating
volumes from polyhedron (based on Green's thereom I believe).

Note that volume changes very rapidly with a change
in diameter.  An almost imperceivable change in diameter
can result in a 25% change in volume. So changes in
discretization (changes in pixel size or pixel alignment
with respect to the tumor) can impact tumor size greatly.

The RECIST measure was developed because it involved
measurements that a radiologist could perform reliably.
So while is may not be most accurate measurement (being
based soley on 2D measurements), it is "robust" to the
operator.

Another consideration is that radiologists "picks" a
window/level setting when measuring tumors.
Window/level settings can affect the "perceived"
location of the boundary of a tumor.  Different
clinicians will use different w/l and obtain different
measurements.

Note, clinicians tend to measure a tumor as being
larger than what a computerized algorithm will report.
If you are using an edge-based algorithm, the tumor
boundary is usually placed at the half power point
of the edge response. This tends to be half way
between where the intensities transition from
background to foreground.  Clinicians, on the other
hand, tend to indicate the boundary of the tumor
as where the foreground starts to pull above the
background. So boundaries defined by a clinician
tend to be "outside" the boundaries defined by a
computerized algorithm.

Finally, the point spread function of the scanner
coupled with the discretization process and any
smoothing operations performed by an algorithm will
"move" the boundaries of a tumor. In other words,
the imaged boundary will be displaced by any
smoothing operations.  The amount and direction
of the displacement is a function of curvature
and scale. Since the boundaries are displaced,
the volume measurements are biased.

Jim