[Insight-users] pixel type

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:31:39 -0500

Silviu,

Most image viewers do not "like" 16 bit pngs.  If your viewer can read the
data, you may have to adjust the intensity (window/level, gamma,
brightness/contrast) within the viewer inorder to be able to see the image
as anything other than a black square.  When your 8 bit images are converted
to 16 bits images all the original dynamic range is in the low bits of the
16 bits images.  When the viewer displays the 16 bits images, it maps 65535
to white and 0 to black. So your 0-255 pixel data is all in very dark shades
of black.

Jim