[Insight-users] Using itkDeformableMesh3DFilter

Yan Pingkun engp1734 at nus.edu.sg
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:37:12 +0800

Hi all,

I'm using itkDeformableMesh3DFilter to segment 3D object from volumetric
images. To test the algorithm, I prepare some synthetic volumetric
images with very simple object in the center. I followed the steps in
the example DeformableModel2.cxx.
However, I found that the initial mesh is hardly to snap on the surface
of the object. In fact, the result changes very slightly from the
initialization. I have changed the parameters within a large range, but
the situation doesn't improve.

Now I have several questions.
1) Which paper is the algorithm based on? Some code segments look
strange as indicated by Thomas Boettger in the mailing list.

2) Is there any better way to initialize the mesh? Because I found that
the mesh produced by using the SphereSource has too many cells near the
poles. This may hinder the mesh to deform because it will produce large
internal force.

3) Can any one with successful experience on the filter share his
experience?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Pingkun