[Insight-users] Re: Better separation of peaks

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:54:02 -0500

Hi Radhika,

You may want to try running any of the edge-preserving
smoothing filters on your image before extracting the
histogram.

These filters increase the homogeneity of regions and
may help to reduce the variance of the classes associated
with particular tissues in your image.

You may want to try filters like:

   itkMedianImageFilter
  itkCurvatureFlowImageFilter
  itkGradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter
  itkCurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter

Markov random fields could also help, but they may be
an overkill if the purpose is just to enhance the peaks in
the histogram.

Since these smoothing filters have parameters, you could
make things more interesting by actually hardcoding
a loop in which the separation criteria of the peaks in the
histogram could drive the parameters of the filters.
In other words, smooth the image until its histogram
satisfy a certain degree of peak separation.

You could use the OtsuCalculator itself as a criterion,
(in that case we will have to modify it a bit, in order
to return the value of the inter-class variance that is
already being computed internally....