[Insight-users] Registration (itk Plugin for volview)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 29 20:23:35 EDT 2004

Hi Robert,

What version of InsightApplications are you using ?

At some point this Image Registgration VolViewPlugin
was using the QuaternionRigidTransform. The current
version is using the VersorRigid3DTransform.

In both cases they were using a customized optimizer
designed to ensure that no scaling was applied into
the transform.

I will suggest you to double check your hypothesis of
scaling taking place, by simply using the linear
measurement tool that you will find in VolView in
the menu

    View--->>  Annotations--->> VolumeAnnotations
                    ---->> Display distance measurement

A line will appear in the 3D window and you will be able
to move the end points. The length of the line will be
displayed on the bottom of the Volume window.

Select two anatomical landmarks in your data set before
registration. Measure their linear separation, and repeat
the operation in the registered data set.  We expect those
two distances to be the same *when measured in millimeters*
(not pixels).

Please let us know if you find any difference in such
distances.

--

If you implement your own registration application using
the QuaternionRigidTransform you *MUST* use the

This is the *ONLY* optimizer that will take care of maintaining
the Quaternion inside the surface of a unit sphere and therefore
prevent any scaling effects.

If you use the VersorRigid3DTransform the you *MUST* use the
custom optimizer:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VersorRigid3DTransformOptimizer.html

which will compute increments in the space of versors as oppossed
to a naive gradient descent that will attempt to treat versors as
if they formed a vector space (which they don't).

Please let us know what you find from your measurements,