[Insight-users] pixeltype

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jun 28 10:36:20 EDT 2004

Hi Jesse,

The reason is that the original data in the RatLung files
is using a pixel type with 8 bits.

When you load it as unsigned short, the data is promoted
to 16 bits, but still only occupying the lower 8 bits,
because the reades do default C-language casting and do
not perform any intensity rescaling.

In other words, the real dynamic range of this data is
always 8 bits regardless of whether you read it in 8 bits
or 16 bits pixel types.