[Insight-users] Generating Splats and/or Point based modeling

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jun 25 19:42:56 EDT 2004

Hi Arash,

 From your email, it seems that you have

1) A Point Set

2) an Image (the texture)

3) a Geometrical model of an object

4) an association between (2) and (3)
    which is what I would assume you mean
    by "texture wrapped object"

and that you want to find the geometrical
relationships between (1) and (2+3).

Is that a fair description ?

Is that's the case, you could work out
a variation of the metric used for ICP.

In your variant you could take into account
characteristics like second order derivatives
of the intensities in the texture.

You may want to look at the implementation
of the PointSetToPointSet metric used for ICP
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1IterativeClosestPointMetric.html

and to the examples in

   Insight/Examples/Registration/
             IterativeClosestPoint1.cxx