[Insight-users] Questions about apodization in the process of registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 23 19:39:50 EDT 2004

Hi Jay,

By apodization do you refer to the attenuation of
the high frequencies in the spectral domain of the
images ?

I assume that you are concerned about this due to the
resampling of the images during the registration process
as well as after the transform has been extracted.

If that's the case, you don't really need to be too
concerned. It practice this is rarely a problem, unless
your images are actually populated with white noise,
or at least blue noise, which are the type of spectra
having large components in the high frequency range and
therefore requiring attenuation in order to avoid aliasing
during the interpolation used for resampling.

For typical medical images, the high frequency components
are very low, and you are usually safe by using simple
interpolations.  That is, the Fourier transform of the
shape functions used by typical interpolation are already
attenuatting high frequencies.

You may want to look at the documentation of the
SincWindowed interpolator where some of this issues
are discussed.

 From the practical point of view your best options
for avoiding local minima are :

       - Multi-resolution
       - Good initialization

Please let us know if you have further questions.