[Insight-users] Convert dicom image to other format

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 22 16:11:06 EDT 2004

Hi Frank,

You probably have some "unsigned short" pixel type on the way.

the range of "signed short" is

           -32768   to   32765

If you can see a pixel at value 60,000 that means that you
have accidentally converted the data to "unsigned short"
where the range is

               0    to  65535

In that case the image will look like binary because all the
values from 32676 to 65535 are those that should have been
in the range from -32768 to -1.

Please post the MetaImage header (just the text file .mhd).
It may have a pixel type such as MET_USHORT (where "U" stands
for unsigned. For a signed type, it should be MET_SHORT.