[Insight-users] CovarianceCalculator

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 16 15:43:12 EDT 2004

Hi  Lucas,

If the vector size is not known at compliation time,
you are probably having to defined the images as:

   itk::Image< std::vector< float >, Dimension >

and.. in that case you will have to write your own
ImageIO object in order to read the fileformat.

Another option for you could be to store individual
components per file. That is, instead of a file with
and image with 60 components per pixel, you could
store 60 files each one with an image of 1 component
per pixel.

You could read these images sequencially using any
of the existing fileformats, an then copy the content
fron the incoming image into the i-th component of
the

    itk::Image< std::vector< float >, Dimension >

You may want to sit in a peaceful place with some
coffee and do the math for the memory footprint of
such an image, because it can easily get out of control.

Note also that you must consider upfront the type
of processing that you expect to apply to such an
image.

Are you planning to do segmentation on it  ?
maybe statistical classification ?

Note that the above image type may not satisfy the
API expected by some ITK filters.