[Insight-users] Separation of objects using watersheds

Max Schoebinger m.schoebinger at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 15 09:27:58 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,

i would like to use the itk::WatershedImageFilter for separating
connected objects by running the watershed transform on an inverted
distance tranform of the segmentation. Therefore, i am trying to
reproduce the results of a simple example given in section "Example 1"
of the following page:

http://www.mathworks.nl/company/newsletters/news_notes/win02/watershed.html

Unfortunately, the results of the implementation in itk do not seem to
be correct (at least to me). Please find attached the file input.png and
result.png, which have been calculated using 0.0 for the flood level and
threshold parameters. As you can see, the left circle isn't even
included in the basic segmentation, which is obviously an error assuming
a flood level of 0.

I have attached the sourcecode, but its just a straightforward
implementation of calling the itk::WatershedImageFilter.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Max

--
Dipl.-Inform. Med. Max Schöbinger
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum       (German Cancer Research Center)