[Insight-users] Re: software giude

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jun 11 12:52:25 EDT 2004

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for pointing this out.

You are right,

              The heuristics suggested for the
alpha parameter in the Sigmoid are misleading.

The computation for alpha was supposed to
produce a negative number. This will result
in the intensity inversion that we need for
converting bright contours from the gradient
magnitude into dark contours for the speed
image. The current suggested value need an
extra minus sign, or as you propose, K1 and
K2 should be reversed.

The suggested value of alpha is now described as

        alpha = ( K2 - K1 ) / 6

with the explicit statement that K2 is expected
to be lower than K1 and therefore we expect
alpha to be negative.

This has been fixed in the embedded text in the
example  FastMarchingImageFilter.cxx and will
show up in the PDF document for the next update
of the guide.

Please let us know if you find any other
errors in the documentation.