[Insight-users] about the DicomImageIO

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Wed Jul 28 10:37:59 EDT 2004

If you use DICOMImageIO2, does the spacing come back correctly? It may not
because neither DICOMImageIO2 or DicomImageIO is looking for tag
0x0018,0x0088

In the DICOM "standard", there is no universally selected manner to
determine the spacing between slices. Some vendors use a specific tag for
slice spacing, some use a specific tag for slice location (and you have to
compare two adjacent slices to determine the spacing), and some use the
ImagePositionPatient tags to specify the
location of slices (and you have to compare two adjacent slices to determine
the spacing). None of these are required by the standard. And sometimes the
values
in them are plain wrong.

The best way we have found to determine the spacing between slices is to use
the ImagePositionPatient tags.  This is what DICOMImageIO2 uses so it may
report the correct spacing even though it is not looking for tag
0x0018,0x0088.