[Insight-users] 2D-to-3D regsitration

Koning, P.J.H. de (LKEB) P.J.H.de_Koning at lumc.nl
Tue Jul 27 10:04:09 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:47:41 -0400, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:

You're correct. I am trying to register one 2D MRI slice with another 3D MRI volume. Although we have the positional information from the DICOM headers, the images are taken at different times, so the patient will probably have moved a little. So I need to do some registration.

Could you give me the names of those groups.

Thanks.

> Hi Patrick,
>
> ITK has methods for 2D-3D registration.
>
> Those methods have been customized for the case
> of registering 3D CT scans to 2D fluoroscopic
> images. This is a comon situation in image guided
> surgery and in surgery planning.
>
> You seem to be managing a different case.
> That is, registering one slice from a 3D
> volume against another 3D volume.
>
> Please confirm is this is your case...
>
> If so, we know of at least two groups that
> have implemented similar techniques using
> ITK.  In practice what you need is to create
> a customized ImageMetric.
>
> As far as transforms go, you simply use the
> Rigid 3D transform. You set the 2D image as
> fixed image and the 3D as the moving image.
> You don't need a 2D-3D transform in this
> case.
>
> Please let us know if you have further
> questions.
>

> Thanks
>

>    Luis

>> and Daniel Rueckert on that topic, so it looks like should be possible.
>> Is there an exmaple in ITK to show how to do this kind of registration.
>> I can't find a suitable transform; all esxisting transforms look like
>> 2D-to-2D or 3D-to-3D transforms.
>>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>   Patrick de Koning